COWBOY BOOTS | FREE CROCHET PATTERN

Free Crochet Pattern: Cowboy Boots

UPDATE: To get the pattern for a matching Cowboy Hat CLICK HERE!!
Cowboy Hat by Projectarian | Free Crochet Pattern

Every crocheter loves a free pattern, right? Yes, we might be accused of hoarding them but it’s only because we NEED them to help use up our monstrous yarn collections that we keep feeding every time we go near a craft shop. We really can’t be blamed.

Enjoy this freebie pattern, showing you how to make a pair of darling little cowboy booties in tiny baby sizes. These shoes will fit 3-6 month old babes.

Without further ado, let’s get on with that free pattern…

BASIC INFORMATION

• Written in US terminology
  • SIZE: 3-6 months
  • DIFFICULTY LEVEL: Easy
  • NECESSARY SKILLS: Basic sewing, and the crochet stitches mentioned below in abbreviations
  • GAUGE: 10 x 10 cm block = 17 DC x 11 Rows, using size D hook
  • YARN WEIGHT: Double Knit (Light Worsted / 8ply/ 11wpi)

SUPPLIES

• HDC = Half Double Crochet
  • DC = Double crochet
  • (…) Section to be repeated

Free Crochet Pattern: Cowboy Boots

CROCHET INSTRUCTIONS…

SOLE

R1: Ch14. 3 DC in 3rd ch from hook, DC in next 10 ch, 3 DC in last ch. Working down opposite side of ch, 3DC in 1st ch, DC in next 10 ch, 3 DC in last ch. Join with a SS into 1st DC. (32)

R2: CH 2, 2DC in next 3 sts. DC in next 10 sts. 2 DC in next 6 sts. DC in next 10sts. 2 DC in next 3 sts. Join with a SS into 1st DC. (44)

R3: CH 2, (HDC in next st, 2HDC in next st) 3 times. HDC in next 10 sts. (2HDC in next st, HDC in next st) 3 times. (HDC in next st, 2HDC in next st) 3 times. HDC in next 10 sts. (2HDC in next st, HDC in next st) 3 times. Join with a SS into 1st HDC. (56)

BOOT

R1: Working into the back loops only, join new colour to the sole at the 1st HDC of the last round with a SS. Ch 1, SC into every st. Join with a SS into 1st SC. (56)

R2: Now work in both loops again. Ch 2, DC, DC next 2 sts together, DC in next 50 sts, DC next 2 sts together, DC, Join with a SS into 1st DC. (54)

R3: Ch 2, DC into every st. Join with a SS into 1st DC. (54)

R4: Ch 2, DC into next 14 sts. (DC next 2 sts together) 13 times. DC into next 14 sts. Join with a SS into 1st DC. Tie off (41)

R5: Skip 1st 14 sts, join new yarn with a SS. DC into same st. (DC next 2 sts together) 6 times. DC in next st. Ch 2, turn. (8)

R6: (HDC next 2 sts together) 4 times. Ch 1, turn. (4)

R7: (SC next 2 sts together) 2 times, turn. (2)

R8: SS into 1st SC. Ch 1, 4 SC into sides of sts (along throat line of shoe), SC in next 13 sts, 2SC in next st, SC in next 13 sts, 4 SC into sides of sts. Join with a SS into 1st SC. Tie off. (36)

R9: Working in back loops only, join new colour at centre back with a SS, ch 2, DC into every stitch, join with a SS into 1st DC, ch2(36)

R10: DC into every stitch, join with a SS into 1st DC, ch2 (36)

R11: 2 DC in next st, DC in next 17 sts, 2 DC in next st, DC in next 17 sts, join with a SS into 1st DC, ch2. (38)

R12-13: DC into every stitch, join with a SS into 1st DC, ch2 (38)

R14: SC in next 6 sts, HDC in next st, skip next st, DC in next st, 4 DC in next st, DC in next st, skip next st, HDC in next st, SC in next 12 sts, HDC in next st, skip next st, DC in next st, 4 DC in next st, DC in next st, skip next st, HDC in next st, SC in next 6 sts, join with a SS into 1st SC, tie off. (40)

R15: Join new yarn at centre back, ch 1, SC in next 9 sts, 2 SC in next st, SC in next 19 sts, 2 SC in next st, SC in next 10 sts join with a SS into 1st SC, ch1 (42)

R16: SC in next 10 sts, 2 SC in next st, SC in next 20 sts, 2 SC in next st, SC in next 10 sts join with a SS into 1st SC, tie off. (44)

TONGUE

R1: Working in the 5 center stitches at the front of the boot, and working in front loops only, join new yarn with a SS, ch 1, SC in next 5 sts, ch1, turn. (5)

R2: SC in each st, ch2, turn (5)

R3: (SC, HDC) in next st, DC in next st, 3 DC in next st, DC in next st, (HDC, SC) in next st, tie off, leaving a long thread (+/-20cm). Sew edge down. (8)

STAR

R1: 10 HDC In magic ring. Join with a SS into 1st st. (10)

R2: (Ch 4, SC into 2nd ch from hook, HDC in next ch, DC in next ch. Skip 1 st and then SS into next st.) 5 times. Tie off and leave long thread (+/-30cm) for sewing Star to Boot.

Assembly: Lay the Boot flat on its side. Align the star with the center of the bootโ€™s ankle, between Row 10- 13 and sew in place.

Alternatively, sew a thread of Chain stitches to the side of the boot for decoration. (20)

Free Crochet Pattern: Cowboy Boots

FINISHING & CARE

Sew in all the loose ends, and block the shoes if needed. To block, place some stuffing in any parts of the shoe that need support. Spritz lightly with water and allow to dry.

Hand-wash only and lay flat to dry. Follow the washing and care instructions on the yarnโ€™s tag.

If you enjoyed this pattern, feel free to share it with your fellow crocheters! ~Jessie

120 Comments
oldest
newest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
gwen
gwen
4 years ago

do you have a pattern for the cowboy hat too? super cute

Mona
Mona
4 years ago

I would like to make these boots for a newborn (about a 3″ sole?) I am comfortable with the required stitches but cannot figure out how to reduce the pattern for a newborn. Could someone help me out please?

Ashleyflint
Ashleyflint
Reply to  Jessie

I can’t quite get the decrease right on the boot

Aislinn
Aislinn
1 year ago
Reply to  Jessie

Did the newborn sole following the ch 12 base and 4 less increases. With hdc & sc. R1: ch12, 2hdc in 3rd ch from hook, hdc in next 8 ch, 2hdc in last ch. working down opposite side of ch, 2hdc in 1st ch. hdc in next 8 ch. 2hdc in last ch. join with a ss into 1st hdc. R2: ch1. 2sc in next 2stc. Sc in next 8 sts. 2 sc in next 4 sts. Sc in next 8 sts. 2sc in next 2 sts. Join with ss. R3: ch1. (Sc in next st, 2 sc in next… Read more ยป

Debbie
Debbie
4 months ago
Reply to  Aislinn

After completing row 3 do you follow the rest of the pattern as written for newborn?

Ashleyflint
Ashleyflint
Reply to  Mona

I was wondering the same thing

staci rossbach
staci rossbach
4 years ago

First of all this is the best directions for a sole pattern ever. Second,I’m new to this boot project and I so want to get it right. On the first round of the boot ,are you saying work the rest of the project in back loops only? Please excuse my ignorance .

staci rossbach
staci rossbach
Reply to  Jessie

Thank you so much Jessie.

Monika
Reply to  Jessie

I am working on the boot right now but have noticed that the picture shows single crochet while the pattern is asking for double crochet. Am I doing it wrong?

Jode
Jode
4 years ago

First i would like to say a great big thank you. Super cute and super easy, love, love, love it. I am still a novice and am a little confused with the instructions for row 8 and the 4 SC into sides of sts. I tried to google how to do it, but was unsuccessful. Could you offer a little more description for this please. Thabks again.

Felicity
Felicity
Reply to  Jessie

Thank you Jessie. I was having problems with this row too and I’m an experienced crocheter. I think I’ve got it right now!

susanne shumate
susanne shumate
4 years ago

super cute , thanks for sharing!!!!

Shauna
Shauna
4 years ago

Sorry for asking what is probably an obvious question, but what kind of yarn did you use? I’m assuming sport or DK since the hook is so small, but I want to be sure.

Thanks for the super cute pattern!

Cheers,
Shauna

Mindy
4 years ago

Am I counting wrong somewhere on R3 for the sole? My numbers aren’t coming out right at all…

Kat
Kat
Reply to  Mindy

I am having the same problem, I’ve gone back a few times and started the row again, but I am still not coming out right. What is my problem?

Kristi
Kristi
Reply to  Jessie

Hi. I seem to still be having trouble with R3. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The pattern is so adorable, I don’t want to NOT make the booties for a baby boy coming into the family (very) soon! Thanks in advance!

Mindy
4 years ago

Nevermind….. I walked away from it for a little bit and came back and figured it out lol

Angelina
Angelina

Hi there , love the booties , they are adorable . (:
Had a quick question , since it says its for 3-6 months , do you think switching to worsted weight yarn with maybe a size G or F hook would make it fit a 6-9 month old ? Or would that make it too big ?

Becky
Becky
4 years ago

Would love to have the hat pattern too. Thanks

Virginia
Virginia
4 years ago

Icant find the pattern. Only the comments.

Susana Maria Villarreal
Susana Maria Villarreal
3 years ago

hi i want to make these for a friends baby but all i have is worsted weight yarn is it possible to use that to make this pattern? and if so what hook would i use and would the pattern change at all?

Anita
Anita
3 years ago

Do you have the full pattern for newborns?

Mieke
3 years ago

lovely. Am going to try the hat too although looks difficult.

Jessie Taylor
3 years ago

I would like to make these boots, but I am a bit confused. The boots pictured are done in single crochet stitches and the pattern says double crochet. Do you have the pattern for the boots pictured? Please and thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

Karen
Karen
3 years ago

After printing the instructions out, without the photos. Can I make a suggestion to your instructions? If the color changes for the next round, even though it says new yarn, I didn’t change color, so I suggest add new yarn color for the new round. I have one almost finished, and it’s one color after the sole……

Sylvia Becker
3 years ago

I just found this patter. These booties are so cute!! I will definitely try them. A perfect gift for my little baby nice ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you so much for sharing this ๐Ÿ™‚

Irene
Irene
Reply to  Sylvia Becker

Never done anything like this before so I’m confused how many do I chain to great started.

Carina
Carina
3 years ago

I only have medium worsted weight yarn and every time I’m making the boots they come out too big. How do I modify the pattern for a bigger sized yarn? Please help!

Annalisa
3 years ago

Can I be the third person to ask you to please, please, please write up the hat pattern? I’m quite a newbie to this whole crochet thing: I can follow written directions pretty well (video, even better) and have learned all my basic stitches, but as far as looking at something and having any clue how to make it, that’s still way beyond my expertise.

3 years ago

Hi, can you tell me if you stich into the first stich that the slip stich was made onto? Also, do you include the slip stitch at the end as a stitch when counting? I had made another her pair of baby booties and the pattern used the first stitch as the one that was slipped into but didn’the count the slip stitch as a stitch at the end. Thank you for any clarification that you can provide.

3 years ago

Sorry, my recent question wasn’the clear. Do you crochet into the stitch that the slip stitch was made into? The other question was clear I think. Thanks.

Reply to  Jessie

It does, thank you for the help and this pattern!

3 years ago

Hi Jessie, i’m lost on the star. It has directions for one ‘arm’ then skip stitch and slip stitch into the next 5 stitches and tie off. Should that be sc 5 times into next stitch? Then repeat R 1? Thank you for your help, I tried to problem solved but I’m relatively new to reading patterns.

Reply to  Diane

I just kept playing with it and decided to slip stitch in the chain after the skipped stitch and make the arm off of that. Looks decent. โ˜บ

Daisy
Daisy
3 years ago

Love the boots and hat – Do you have a pattern for the hat?

Aneta
Aneta
3 years ago

I am so glad I found these, so adorable. Am I reading it right- use 2 strand of medium wt. yarn and use a D hook, or can you use worsted wt. yarn and use a D size hook?

Mimi
Mimi
3 years ago

I love the boots!! I am trying to duplicate the brown ones with the star. Do I still need to change colors in row 5? Do you have any other tips for the brown pair? Thank you for sharing!!

Sue
Sue
3 years ago

Do you know of a pattern for a vest and skirt to match it

Sylvia Becker
3 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing this pattern. The booties are so adorable. I am ready to make them ๐Ÿ™‚

Kristen
Kristen
3 years ago

Oh these boots turned out fabulous! Thankyou!! Do you have the pattern for the hat available (free or for sale)? I’ve tried 3 others but they look nowhere as lovely as yours ๐Ÿ™‚

Graciela
Graciela
3 years ago

Hola Jessica, estรกn muy buenas las botas, lรกstima que las explicaciones estรกn en inglรฉs y la traducciรณn no es muy buena, serรญa mรกs fรกcil para mรญ si tuviera diagrama dbujado

Fern
Fern
3 years ago

In one of the pictures it shows a cowboy hat with the boots, is there a pattern for this?

Alex
Alex
2 years ago

Where do you start counting the 14 stitches to skip on R5 for the boot section, because my toe section keeps coming out a little off centre?

Alex
Alex
Reply to  Jessie

Thanks, that works great now. I think my seam is travelling, so it wasn’t where it was supposed to be.

Sandy
Sandy
2 years ago

Do u have a pattern for diaper cover do u have a pattern fog doggie cowboy boots

Jessy
Jessy
2 years ago

Hi i just started these booties but i’ve opened mine about 3 times now im wondering if u acually slip stitch into the 2nd chain when finishing a round or the first dc of the last one like u say i tried the dc one but it looked as if everything was going crooked not quite sure what im doing wrong got any advice thanks again

Yvonne
Yvonne

Do you have the pattern for a 0/3 month cowboy boots

Karen
Karen
2 years ago

Please tell me you figured out the hat pattern!!!

Jenn
Jenn
2 years ago

Too cute! Pinned and can’t wait to try. Thanks for the free pattern!

Rhonda Streufert
Rhonda Streufert
2 years ago

I have attempted this pattern several times and itโ€™s turning out way to big. Iโ€™m using baby yarn and a sz d hook….any thoughts

dink
dink
2 years ago

Can you tell me how long the sole of the boot should be?

Aska
Aska
1 year ago

I dont understand about row4(boot)13times….

Kelly
Kelly
1 year ago

Do you have for 3 years olds??

Karla Rogerson
Karla Rogerson
1 year ago

Are these instructions in Britain or American stitches?

1 year ago

I crocheted these boots, matched all stitch counts and ended up with a 6″ sole!!! I used an H size hook and #4 med. weight yard. So, what happened?

Patricia Castillo
Patricia Castillo
11 months ago

Thank you so much for the free pattern. You have a blessed day. ๐Ÿ˜Š Trish

Randa
Randa
10 months ago

I love the pattern very much, and I am very excited to try it, how can I adjust the stitches to fit my one year old boy, can you help me dear

Terry
Terry
9 months ago

Where is the pattern for the boots that are all sc on the top?

Sunshine Hitched
Sunshine Hitched
8 months ago

Hello, amazing pattern. Just wondering if you allow the sale of finished products as long as I credit you as the designer. Thanks.

Melissa Smith
Melissa Smith
8 months ago

Any suggestions on how to increase the stitching to accommodate toddler sizes? Specifically, 2 & 3 year old, normal shoe size 7 & 8. I know how to do the sole to fit these two toddler sizes just not sure how to build up the actual boot part to accommodate the sole size.

Lucille
Lucille
4 months ago

Love it it is so cute

120
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x